Director of Real Estate Development
August 18, 2016
HBI seeks a dynamic and experienced real estate professional to serve as Director of Real Estate Development and lead development activities for the organization. Reporting directly to, and working closely with HBI’s Executive Director, this position will direct all real estate development work for the organization and manage a small project management staff and project-related consultants.
This position strategically drives the direction of HBI’s development activities as well as providing day-to-day management of staff and projects with regard to identification of properties, finance, construction, asset management and the selling or leasing of properties. The successful candidate will have strong real estate knowledge, exceptional financial analysis skills, and a genuine commitment to HBI’s mission of strengthening urban neighborhoods through historic preservation.
HBI’s workplace is team-oriented, collegial and focused, and places great emphasis on collaboration, frequently working closely with non-profit and for-profit partners on mutually beneficial investments.
- Provide overall strategic leadership and tactical implementation for the organization’s project development pipeline; oversee timely and efficient progress of all projects through to project close-out and placing properties in-service;
- Work closely with the Executive Director on all matters related to HBI work and manage the review and approval of projects and investments by the HBI Board of Directors;
- Provide leadership and management to HBI’s Senior Project Manager and any additional staff;
- Proactive strategist on project prospecting and pipeline development, identifying and analyzing prospective projects for the organization’s consideration.
- Prepare and approve site feasibility analyses, development and operating pro formas and associated schedules for projects across the organization’s pipeline and prospect pool;
- Arrange project financing, including sources of debt, equity and subsidy. Prepare project packages for commercial, intermediary and public financing, including grants; negotiate terms and conditions related to property purchases, predevelopment planning, construction and permanent financing;
- Oversee asset management and related property budgets of completed properties.
- Collaborate with full staff and board to develop and implement plans for HBI’s operational infrastructure, systems, processes, and personnel.
- BA degree in related field; MBA/MS, MCP, MArch or similar preferred;
- Minimum of 5 years of real estate development or financing experience; 8-10 years preferred;
- Substantial experience overseeing the real estate development process, from acquisition to financing though design and construction.
- Demonstrated experience building and supporting a high-quality, effective team of professionals;
- Familiarity with zoning laws, codes and permitting regulations in Boston a plus;
- Direct experience with utilization of Federal and State historic tax credit financing sources; Preference for candidates with experience with myriad sources of conventional and subsidy sources of financing, especially those typically applied to affordable housing and neighborhood revitalization projects such as LIHTC, New Markets, CDBG, and HOME;
- Knowledge of historic preservation strategies, neighborhood planning and community revitalization best practices preferred;
- Strong negotiation, public speaking and community presentation skills; strong writing and editing skills, and proficiency with MS Word and Excel;
- Excellent relationship-building skills and a customer-service orientation that leads to sustainable and mutually beneficial external partnerships.
Please send a cover letter, salary requirements and a resume to:
Kathy Kottaridis, Executive Director, Historic Boston Inc., 20 Eustis Street, Roxbury, MA 02119 by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please place the subject title “Director of Real Estate” in the subject line of your e-mail.