Office Manager and Social Media Coordinator
January 12, 2018
HBI, a private, non-profit historic preservation organization, founded in 1960, rehabilitates historic buildings in order to help strengthen urban neighborhoods. It is an organization of 15 board members, a 25-member advisory council, and four staff.
The position of Office Manager and Social Media Coordinator at Historic Boston Incorporated (HBI) manages the office and administrative systems of the organization, ensuring that day-to-day operations are smooth, efficient and consistent in quality. The Office Manager and Social Media Coordinator also has primary oversight of social media and related communications, databases and meetings development. HBI’s Office Manager and Social Media Coordinator assists with bookkeeping and financial management, fundraising activities including appeals and grant preparation. Reporting to the Executive Director, this position provides administrative support to all members of Historic Boston’s staff.
The Office Manager and Social Media Coordinator undertakes the following activities:
- Support work of all HBI staff by receiving visitors and the public graciously, answering telephone and directing calls to the proper individuals, processing incoming and handling all outgoing mail for all staff, checking and appropriately forwarding email sent to the HBI general email account
- Maintain and manage all paper and electronic filing systems at HBI and, in conjunction with all staff, recommend files for off-site storage, or for destruction in accordance with HBI records-holding policies.
- Monitor office supplies, and order as needed or by request. Coordinate recycling program.
- Have working knowledge of all office systems including telecommunications, information technology, network and wireless systems and printers; coordinate all related needs with third-party telecommunications and IT consultants.
- Maintain all databases of corporate accounts, passwords, and contact information.
- Manage relations with external IT service provider for ongoing maintenance and management support and troubleshoot staff and organizational IT problems as necessary.
Board of Directors and Committees Meeting Management
- Arrange meetings of board of directors and its committees, including meeting notices, reminders, agenda development, attendance tracking and other communications as necessary.
- Assist with general and special meeting planning and arrangements including catering, logistics and other arrangements.
- Draft meeting minutes for Board of Directors and board committee meetings for review by staff and directors.
- Maintain Board of Directors and Committees’ history and attendance records.
- Maintain and update the HBI Board Binder once yearly and as necessary.
Public Relations, Web Communications, and Social Media
- Coordinate HBI’s Blog editorial schedule with all staff and write and/or post blogs regularly to HBI Blog, HBI web site, and HBI’s Facebook page
- Maintain and update HBI website regularly with content revisions, notices and events/dates.
- Prepare monthly HBI Constant Contact E-Newsletter; Maintain and update mailing lists for blog/newsletter
- Develop and organize special events that promote the organization, its programs, and its members and affiliates.
- Assist with preparation of paper newsletter
- Pursue other social media applications that expand HBI’s contact with its constituencies
- Maintain HBI Project Pipeline and project one-pager documents
Fundraising Support and Database management
- Manage databases with primary responsibility for maintaining and updating electronic and paper information about HBI’s supporters and donors, utilizing DonorPerfect software.
- Primary responsibility for preparation of mailings for annual appeals, newsletters, and related solicitations including maintenance and preparation of mailing lists, interface with external mailing house and graphic designers.
- Provide assistance to staff as requested with grants and proposal writing, and reports and acknowledgement letters to donors, foundations and financing entities for HBI programs, projects and grants received.
- Assist Executive Director and fundraising consultants with meeting schedules and coordination, letters of support, and communications related to fundraising grants and appeals.
- Provide staff support to HBI’s Fundraising Committee.
- Enter all accounts payable, cash deposits and accruals into the accounting software
- Issue checks for signature and make remote check deposits in bank accounts
- Manage vendor relationships and resolution of billing issues as necessary
- Ensure compliance with HBI’s internal control procedures and other policies and procedures
- Maintain files for vendors, cash disbursements and cash receipts
- Track credit card charges/receipts; ensure proper documentation
- Provide assistance as needed to all staff on specific projects and events.
- Other activities as assigned.
Skills and Experience
- BA or its equivalent in experience required
- Strong technology skills with good orientation to web technology, social media, and database management
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is expected
- Knowledge of accounting, administrative and data management procedures and practices.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and organizational skills
- An ability to work with a diverse set of people in a wide range of settings
- Initiative and demonstrated ability to be an energetic self-starter
- Excellent planning, organizing, time and work management.
Competitive salary and benefits package Send resume and cover letter, including salary requirements, to: Kathy Kottaridis, Executive Director, Historic Boston Incorporated, 20 Eustis Street, Roxbury, MA 02119 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will be reviewed as they are received. Historic Boston Inc. seeks to fill this position as soon as possible. See www.historicboston.org for more information.
Historic Boston Incorporated is committed to non-discrimination and equal opportunity in employment.