This highly visible Fields Corners commercial structure located at 1510-1514 Dorchester Avenue was built in the mid-1890s. It was significantly altered over the years, most notably through haphazard changes to its storefronts and the application of metal siding to its second floor. Surviving architectural elements, such as its wooden cornice and other architectural details glimpsed in historic photos, hinted at its potential to contribute once again to the local character of the neighborhood commercial district.
HBI worked with the Golden family to complete a $310,000 project that completely rehabilitated four storefronts on the ground floor as well as the windows, siding, and other architectural features of the second floor, home to the Dorchester Youth Collaborative. The work, inspired by historic evidence, involved using modern materials with a traditional appearance that are durable, easy to maintain, and energy efficient.
More Info (PDF)