Built in 1868 and expanded circa 1890, the Vertullo Building at 74-84 Fairmount Avenue is likely the oldest and only surviving wooden commercial building in the Cleary and Logan Squares commercial district. It is a good example of the Second Empire style, popular in the 1860s when Hyde Park was incorporated as a town and the community and local investors began to build civic and commercial buildings along the River Street and Fairmount Avenue corridors near the two major rail lines that traveled through Hyde Park.
HBI acquired the building in 2011 and completed rehabilitation in 2015 at a total development cost of $1.38 million, restoring its storefronts and exterior to the building’s 1890s exterior and upgrading interior systems. The property is now home to five new small businesses and four upper story residential units.
More Info (PDF)