April 14, 2010 Breaking Ground at the Eustis Street Fire House
Please join us as we launch the rehabilitation of the Eustis Street Fire House on Saturday, May 15, 2010 ? rain or shine ? at 20 Eustis Street in Roxbury. Festivities begin at 12:00 noon and include remarks by Mayor Thomas M. Menino and local dignitaries followed by a neighborhood barbeque and tours of the historic Eliot Burying Ground.
After 50 years at the Old Corner Bookstore at Downtown Crossing, HBI will also make the Eustis Street Fire House its new home. This project re-affirms HBI?s belief that the preservation and redevelopment of historic places can meet current needs, restore neighborhood pride, and help urban neighborhoods thrive. Built in 1859, the Eustis Street Fire House is Boston?s oldest remaining firehouse structure, predating Roxbury?s merger with Boston in 1868. Its preservation and re-use is a testimony to HBI?s city-wide commitment to preserving at-risk historic places. It is also a practical demonstration of HBI?s desire to be closer to the neighborhoods it serves.
This day is our chance to thank many partners, supporters and funders whose generosities of time and spirit have made this project possible. It is also an opportunity to honor neighbors and friends of Dudley Square as they celebrate many years of advocacy for the Fire House?s preservation.