November 30, 2021 Help Us Ring in the New Year!
Your generosity made 2021 a successful year for Historic Boston’s work across Boston. Even as we navigated the pandemic’s delays and uncertainties, this was a year of achievements:
- The final phase of construction is underway at the 1912 Upham’s Corner Comfort Station in Dorchester for Comfort Kitchen – a new venue for local, delicious food in the neighborhood – to open in early 2022.
- The 1868 Vertullo Building in Hyde Park is under agreement to be sold to one of the property’s small business owners after HBI’s $1.9 million investment in 2015.
- Structural improvements were completed and full restoration will soon begin at the Ralph Adams Cram-designed St. Luke’s Chapel (1901) in Roxbury’s John Eliot Square, in partnership with the Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts and St. John St. James’ Church.
- We continue planning for preservation and re-use of the 1910 St. James African Orthodox Church in Roxbury and the construction of new affordable housing on the former church’s parking area.
- HBI embarked on a new partnership with the East Boston CDC for restoration of the Donald McKay House in East Boston’s Eagle Hill neighborhood.
- We also began planning for improvements at the Old Corner Bookstore with an eye to the future of the building’s uses and interpretation.
Your enthusiastic support of our work has allowed us to take on more and more challenging projects that preserve the unique character of our city’s neighborhoods for Bostonians today. Your generosity also helped us to be more resilient in the wake of Covid-19’s fiscal impacts in 2020 and 2021.
As we come to the end of 2021, we hope you will consider a donation to HBI. Contributions from people like you help our organization address some of the most important historic places in our city.
Visit www.historicboston.org/donate to make your contribution electronically. And don’t forget that you can also donate monthly, quarterly or semi-annually through HBI’s on-line donation platform.
Thank you for helping to sustain HBI’s success. We look forward to a vibrant and exciting 2022!