Built in 1782, the Spooner Lambert House is the third-oldest building in Roxbury. Constructed in the waning years of the American Revolution for Major John Jones Spooner, first commander of the Roxbury Artillery, the house occupies a pivotal location in the John Eliot Square National Register District.
In 1983, after negotiations with the owner, HBI acquired a preservation restriction agreement on this 1782 house. HBI purchased the property in July 1992 after a foreclosure in the fall of 1990, and rehabilitated the house into four apartments. In 2000, HBI converted the units into condominiums and sold them to the occupants of the rental apartments who, today, steward the property under a preservation easement held by HBI.